lunes, 27 de agosto de 2012

Cobbler (or the best way to eat fruit)




Some nights (okay, every single one!) I NEED something sweet after dinner. I need it. I cannot help it. I usually eat a cookie, with the consequence of guilt, of course, because I do not like one, but 20. So to feel less guilt, I try to eat fruit, that has sugar, but is obviously better than eat half a pack of chocolate cookies.

In this chilly Monday, and taking advantage that I can get juicy and mature fruits, I recommend you this cobbler. For those of you who don’t know, the cobbler is a
There is no night, but chilly Monday, taking advantage that can be achieved Mature fruit Simply, some fruit, sugar, and a dough based in a loooot of butter.
Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!


COBBLER
Slightly adapted from The Kitchn

Yields 3 servings (if you make it in small ramekins like me)



Ingredients
 
1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup of sugar + more for sprinkling
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
fresh berries or fruit (peeled and cut into chunks)


Procedure

1. Turn oven to 180º C or 350º F.

2. Combine flour and sugar. Add the butter as you go, until it the mixture turns to a soft dough. It might be a bit somehow crumbly, but the important thing it's that it should hold together when you squeeze it.    
3. Spray the ramekins with a non-stick cooking spray and put the fruit so it covers the half of the ramekin. It has to be a tick layer. If the fruit it's a bit acid, like with some berries, you can sprinkle a bit more sugar.
4. Pat disks about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch and stick them on top of the fruit. If they crumble, it doesn't matter, it's a rustic dessert. Continue till you cover them all.
5. On a baking sheet, place them evenly and cook until the dough looks golden.
6. In 20 minutes they should be done.
7. Leave them to cool. Ice cream or whipped cream is a GREAT addition.



NOTE: hot is yummy, but warm is better. You'll leave the flavors to settle, and not burn your tongue trying! My variants: peach and apple + banana (with chopped almonds topping). My favorite is the banana. I find the baked peach to be too sweet, but it was equally awesome.

Try it and tell me!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario